Things about your child’s eyes you can’t afford to miss….
Questions to Ask to Avoid Assuming that Vision is “fine”.
Can you afford to assume your child’s vision is fine? It is not easy to know whether a child has a vision problem. That is because sight is not the same as vision. A child may have perfect sight, yet poor vision. Understanding the difference can be complex and confusing, but to give yourself an idea of whether your child may have a hidden vision problem, first ask yourself the following ten questions:
- Is your child struggling and frustrated in school, even though you know they are bright?
- Does homework take much longer than it should, and often ends up with you losing your patience, or your child becoming frustrated or crying?
- Do you have a child who does not read for fun?
- Is your child struggling to learn to read, missing words when reading, or filling in words that aren’t really there? Do they fail to recognize the same word repeated on a page or on the next page?
- Is it difficult for your child to complete writing or copying from the board, or does your child do poorly on written tests, even though they know the material and can answer verbally?
- Does your child struggle to learn spelling words for the test and then forget them as soon as the test is over?
- Do you have a child who learnt how to read easily in the early grades, then began having difficulty with reading subjects after grade 3?
- Is your child a better reader on the first page, rather than after reading several pages? Does your child start out fine, and then begin to squirm or want to get away?
- Does your child recognise words well when reading, but still has trouble with comprehension?
- Is your child’s frustration in school causing them to be labeled as “learning difficulty” or a “behaviour problem” or have “attention deficit” even though at home you are not aware of these problems unless schoolwork is mentioned?
A hidden vision problem can be hard to find. Your child would benefit from specific testing of their focusing, eye teaming, tracking and visual analysis if you answered “YES” to any of these questions.
If you answered “yes” – what now?
Our Optometrists have been expertly trained to detect vision problems in children that can be overlooked in sight checks. At Harmony Vision, we understand and treat vision problems that may interfere with learning. For a consultation targeting your child’s specific needs, phone our team today on 55205900.